History at Bletchingdon

The church is believed to date from the C11 – two clues being a grant of tithes made in 1074 for land at ‘Bicestone’ and a Norman lintel on the south wall.  There have, of course, been many additions and changes – among them the nave (C15), the south porch (1695), and the north aisle (1878).  A stone floor (which now makes the church accessible for wheelchairs), new heating, lighting, a pantry and lavatory were added in 2000 which, together with a large car park, give much-needed modern facilities.  We have a set of 6 bells and a team of ringers.

Among the treasures inside is a fragment of a C15 wall painting in the chancel, a Jacobean pulpit and pews, a C17 painting, a font which has been in use since 1682 and many beautiful memorials to the occupants of Bletchington Park.  As a young man, Christopher Wren lived at The Rectory with his family after his father was deprived of his living by the Puritans, his sister having married the then Rector, William Holder.  Dean Wren is recorded in the burial register for 1656 and is believed to be buried under the chancel floor.